[CAUT] follow up on tuning for the local orchestra

Wimblees at aol.com Wimblees at aol.com
Tue Apr 11 14:23:33 MDT 2006

In a message dated 4/11/2006 1:27:55 PM Central Standard Time,
dporritt at mail.smu.edu writes:

While I can see the need for new or rebuilt  instruments, why would becoming
an All Steinway School be a  plus?
dp

David M.  Porritt

David

I won't go into the philosophical reasons for becoming an all Steinway
School, because I realize there are pros and cons for that. But the  way the
Alabama bid laws are, it will actually be easier to get all the pianos  from one
vendor, than to try to put out bids for 40 pianos from different  vendors. Also,
included are the rebuilding of some of our Steinways by the  factory. I
realize that there are private rebuilders that could do the work, but  again,
because of our bid laws, I would rather have control over that aspect,  than to let
the university's finance office take the lowest bid.

Wim