[CAUT] follow up on tuning for the local orchestra

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Wed Apr 12 14:10:31 MDT 2006

>First let me explain that for the most part, the work I do for the
>symphony is more or less volunteer. When I first got here 5 years
>ago, I was offered the equivalent of one tuning fee to prep the
>piano. For this I usually wound up spending about 3 or 4 hours. Not
>wanting to charge the already financially scrapped symphony for more
>money I decided to "give" them my time. I reasoned that I am getting
>paid by the university, and the work I did on the piano benefited
>the university, too.

Wim,

Be careful. You salary is being paid from public funds, which means
that politics plays a role. Every once in a while someone is liable
to start poking around looking to dredge up dirt on someone else, or
make a reputation as a "waste vigilante" or some other such
posturing. Doing work on State time for an outside organization just
doesn't look good - and might even be illegal, no matter how
beneficial this outside organization might be and how much you think
this benefits the University. As long as your services are not
explicitly included in the rental agreement between the university
and the orchestra and the extent of such services is not spelled out,
you are putting yourself in a vulnerable position. You can donate as
much of your own time as you wish to anyone you wish, but you cannot
on your own decision donate the time that the University pays for.
You should at the very least keep a careful record of time spent, to
show that none of the University time went into this donated orchestra work.

Israel Stein