[CAUT] soundboard crack

Debra Feiger debra_feiger at yahoo.com
Thu Apr 27 16:36:34 MDT 2006

I have a private client with a Steinway M, from the
late 20s, rebuilt by a reputable rebuild shop in NYC
less than two years ago.  I do not know if they put in
a new soundboard or it is the original.  I am in the
process of finding that out.  The piano has a Roland
quiet time system installed and I installed a dampp
chaser system Jan 2005.  I have subsequently moved to
San Diego, but still return to NY periodically to
service some of my clients.  I went to tune this piano
(it had been 5 months) and also do some minor
regulation.  It was more out of tune than it should
have been and when I went to push the action back in,
it wouldn't clear the pinblock.  I called the rebuild
shop and they said that the pinblock to be planed and
that it was common for a pinblock to 'drop' a bit.
I've not experienced that yet in my 4 years as a tech.
 I didn't have the tools with me to do the repair, and
was concerned that I might damage the quiet time unit.
  They sent another technician to my client a few days
later.  He handled the pinblock repair, but there was
a loud buzz and he identified a crack in the
soundboard.  I didn't see (or hear) it, but from
talking with the client it seems to be running
parallel to one of the ribs.  The rebuilder/owner was
going to go out to look at the piano, but is instead
sending another technician (experienced with
soundboard repairs) and he seems certain that a rib is
separated.  I didn't look under the piano to see if
this was the case or not.

Here are my questions - Is it possible that a
combination of the heat from the Quiet time system and
perhaps the dehumidifier rods from the Dampp Chaser
system could have helped cause the crack?  I have been
wondering since I started installing the DC systems,
whether the heat generated could do damage?   Also,
what type of warranty should the rebuilder offer if,
even after the soundboard is shimmed and the rib
repaired, the soundboard continues to deteriorate?
Thanks for  your collective thoughts and experience.