[CAUT] re-stringing Steinway D: pinblock preparation

ed440 at mindspring.com ed440 at mindspring.com
Sat Dec 2 10:10:13 MST 2006

Thomas-

I've used Lo-torqs several times with excellent results. Check out the articles about them in the Journal (2002?).  Paul Larudee (the inventor) encouraged me to use the #1 top for best results.  Be sure the block is good.  I had one failure where I was over-optimistic in evaluating the block on an old M & H. You don't want that experience.  :-(  This should not be a problem with a '60's S & S.

Paul Larudee's advice was not to prepare the holes at all, just turn out the old pins carefully.  The problem is that sloppy reaming is worse than not reaming at all.  Jim Ellis has recommended that if you do ream, use a T-handle and turn the bit by hand.  Maybe he will say more.

I found a few odd-sized pins, so micing is recommended.

Arledge strings are wonderful.

Also consider Paul Revenko-Jones' method of polishing the inside of the agraffes and Bill Spurlock's bridge resurfacing articles.

Ed Sutton