[CAUT] re-stringing Steinway D: pinblock preparation

Ken Zahringer ZahringerK at missouri.edu
Sat Dec 2 10:19:15 MST 2006

Is there any particular reason to keep the original pinblock?  This piano is
going on 50 years old and has loose pins.  An extra day to replace the block
should be a pretty easy sell, given the vastly better prospects for the
future.

If you¹re absolutely committed to keeping the original block, here¹s my two
cents worth:
1. Remove the old pins with a brace or ratchet, not an electric drill.  It¹s
more work, but it keeps the heat down and won¹t glaze the hole.
2. Clean out the holes well.  I think Pianotek sells a round brush for this.
A bore brush for a .270 or .30 caliber rifle will work well also.
3. Inspect the interior of the holes.  If you see any evidence of internal
cracks or delamination, you should replace the block.  Prepare your client
for this possibility in your proposal.
4. I would use 4/0 pins in a used Steinway block.

Hope this helps,
Ken Z.

--
Ken Zahringer, RPT