[CAUT] re-stringing Steinway D: pinblock preparation

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Mon Dec 4 14:33:06 MST 2006

On Dec 4, 2006, at 3:29 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Jeff,
>

> Even with new agraffes I would still do the Paul Revenko-Jones’
> polishing. Since doing that it has made a big difference on our
> pianos. (Much less buzzing, rattling annoyances, etc.)
>

> Jim Busby BYU

No argument with that.  I'm just amazed that any tone at all was able
to be produced by some of the junk agraffes I've been finding in our
Steinways from the late 60s and early 70s.  Unfortunately, I don't
have a way of taking a pictures.  Few were drilled in a straight
line.  Many have no bevel in the hole at all -- just drilled straight
through.  A reamer and flitz won't do much for that.   It's $186 (D)
and a couple hours or so well spent to replace them.

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina