[CAUT] It was a funny first

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Dec 16 05:35:12 MST 2006

At 10:32 PM 12/15/2006, you wrote:

>A little better communication (and respect for all involved!) on her part
>would have avoided all of this.
>
>Cheers-
>:)
>Michelle

OK then.  We've established that she's inconsiderate, maybe
overwhelmed; he's rude; they're somewhat dysfunctional, just like
real people. As long as you're fantasizing about your retort, think
of how much worse it could have been!

But now for the hard part.  Starting with the phone call, what did
you do wrong?  Jim Ellis pointed out that he doesn't do first
appointments unless it's established that the owner will be there at
beginning and end.  How much of the scenario do you establish at the
initial conversation?  I may not be as insistent as Jim, but, for
example, if the plan moves towards depending upon the presence of the
cleaning lady, I immediately ask a series of questions:
Will you be reachable by phone?
Will you be leaving a check?
Does the cleaning lady speak English?
Is the house big enough for her to work in other areas while I am
tuning?  - Vacuuming and kitchen cleaning noises are no good.
Does she listen to the radio, watch TV, talk on the phone, sing or whistle?

I'm sure you handled yourself well, and even, on some level, enjoyed
the character-expanding experience, (admit it!), but the real test
would be to see how it affects the way you take control of the
situation the next time you answer the phone. I just know this will
be a another transformative experience for you.  It's all good.

Cheers Indeed!!

David S, the occasional