[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Sat Dec 16 08:15:30 MST 2006

Wim -
Don't give up!  As a last resort, you could schedule an event like
what Mark Cramer did for Wapin, and invite everyone down.  But we're
not there yet.

I think the first thing you have to do is get off this thing about
the rep lever pinning.  It's important, but not relating to
checking.  As detailed and specific as Ed Foote's last reply was,
there are still other subtleties which can make the difference, but
they're hard (for me) to convey in this format.

The area you mention (F2 - F3) are angled hammers.  Determine if the
facing is completely parallel to the back check.  I've seen plenty of
examples of sloppiness here, which would reduce the contact area to
one edge of the tail, especially with the new, firmer backchecks.

Look CLOSELY, (or is it  closely?) at the initial contact of the tail
and check.  The shape of the Steinway backcheck can deceive you as to
the actual distance between the "functional" bottom of tail and top
of check.  Look at the difference in some other tail-check
configurations.  Notice the difference in the shape of the check felt
and its resulting profile.  The older ones were more square at the
top, effectively placing the functional surface of the check closer to the top.

Gently press the hammer down to the check and observe the length of
initial contact (ICL).  If the backcheck has any convex radius and
the tail has a short-ish radius, the contact length will be
insufficient.  The  Steinway tails I first became familiar with were
not an exact radius.  More of an angled flat face of about 1/2"
before gradually becoming parallel to the center line.  This allowed
more surface contact than a radius but had enough angle to prevent
slide-through on a strong blow.

Some style backchecks achieve a more concave surface which tends to
allow for a straighter tail and generally softer checking shock.

I don't believe you referred to the age of this piano.  I'd like to
know if it has the older style of backchecks & wires or new.  The
newer ones have very stiff wires and very firm felt/leather.  This
tends to eliminate what I think is an important spring function.

I apologize if the above is unclear.  Keep trying.  Think of the
moment when you figure it out.

David Skolnik