[CAUT] string dents

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Sat Dec 16 10:04:45 MST 2006

> A "new" RPT tech working for me got a little excited about string
> voicing and in the process of "tapping" down strings on a *_new_* piano,
> went too far.  The strings were hit in the speaking length segment, in
> the direction of termination with the bridge pin V.  In other words,
> straightening the speaking length segment before it terminates at the
> bridge pin. Consequently, there is a visible "dent/kink" in the wire in
> the speaking length just before the bridge termination, creating more
> false beats than the ones that were to be eliminated.  Is there a cure
> short of restringing that section?  i.e., loosening string and
> straightening wire with hook as good as possible and retightening?  Thanks.
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT

The first thing I'd do is try to ascertain where the beats are
actually coming from. Has anyone at any time in this process
tried pressing a screwdriver against the bridge pin of a
beating string to see if the beat cleared up? If so, then
string seating likely wasn't warranted in the first place.
Before presuming that the current false beats are caused by
string kinks (which I doubt), try the screwdriver test. The
next likely cause, producing much different but still "false"
string noise, is lack of mass in the bridge. A Vise-Grip
clamped to a back bridge pin should tell you if that's a
problem. The damage to the bridge cap as already been done,
but you may still be able to quiet most of the false beating
by determining and directly addressing the cause. If it turns
out to be the kinks after all, you'll have to replace the strings.
Ron N