[CAUT] string dents

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Sat Dec 16 18:31:08 MST 2006

On 12/15/06 4:09 PM, "Lance Lafargue" <lafargue at bellsouth.net> wrote:

> A "new" RPT tech working for me got a little excited about string voicing and
> in the process of "tapping" down strings on a new piano, went too far.  The
> strings were hit in the speaking length segment, in the direction of
> termination with the bridge pin V.  In other words, straightening the speaking
> length segment before it terminates at the bridge pin. Consequently, there is
> a visible "dent/kink" in the wire in the speaking length just before the
> bridge termination, creating more false beats than the ones that were to be
> eliminated.  Is there a cure short of restringing that section?  i.e.,
> loosening string and straightening wire with hook as good as possible and
> retightening?  Thanks.
>
> Lance Lafargue, RPT
> LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
> LPIANOS.com
> lafargue at bellsouth.net
> 4244 Hwy 22 Mandeville, LA 70471
> 985.72P.IANO

Hi Lance,
    I doubt very much if the kinks are causing false beats. I¹ve seen a lot
of those ­ some I caused myself, being anxious to try what someone was
over-selling in an article in the Journal many years back ­ and there are
plenty of those strings with kinks that have no falseness at all. Bends
within the speaking length don¹t really seem to have an effect, in my
experience. Strange, but seems to be true. Kind of like a tuners knot in the
speaking length of a bass string. You¹d think you could hear a difference,
but if there is one it¹s subtle.
    Any kind of tapping, jerking action on a string at tension will create a
permanent bend ­ well, I guess there must be an elastic limit you have to
exceed, but it isn¹t a very big one. Sometimes putting a kink in a string
can be useful ­ to miss a damper wire in the tenor of a piano with badly
spaced agraffes, for example (hmmm, what brand might I be thinking of <G>).
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico