[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Dec 18 04:04:45 MST 2006

At 10:58 PM 12/17/2006, you wrote:
>Susan -
>can you explain how loose pinning would create such a condition?
>
>David Skolnik

Sure - if the hammer flange friction is too small, the hammer
has too little inertia when it touches the backcheck - it's
too bouncy and can escape from the check. I was fighting this
failure to check in a D which had heavy use (in a roaring hurry -
I saw it for the first time a couple of days before an event).
I reshaped the tails, altered the backcheck angle, slightly
roughened the tails of some of the more obstinate hammers,
and left the springs just a tad weaker than I at first
wanted them to be - and still a few hammers wouldn't check.

So I gave them the swing test, and got about 15! Repinned to
3 (which became four or five within a few days), and the piano
became controllable and the notes would go into check. I wanted
to repin all the hammers, but had no time before the guest
lecturer was to use it - did them all the next year. The piano
had a much less worn out feeling while playing - less flyaway.

Susan