[CAUT] balancier/wippens report

Susan Kline skline at peak.org
Mon Dec 18 11:41:19 MST 2006

Hello, David

I may be using the wrong term when I say "inertia."
What I mean is that when the hammers bounce way too
easily, the checking will be poor. When they're
this free, as the hammers return to rest you can
see them shuddering up and down several times.
When pinned more firmly, they still bounce some
as they return to rest position, but not in such a
frenetic manner. Not so jittery. Perhaps
they hang around long enough for the backcheck to grab
them better with firmer pinning. Also the tone seems
better.

I know that extreme freeness in hammer flanges is
the fashion these days, but especially in heavily used
pianos, which soon become looser yet, I think that we
would be better served to pin them to 3 or 4 swings max,
and keep after them as they get up to 6 or more.
It's true that this adds a small amount of downweight,
but it isn't that much, and the feeling of controllability
more than pays for it, IMHO.

I think that one possible explanation for the present
tendency toward frictionless pinning is that Steinway
sends pianos to many climates. If they leave the factory
with moderate friction and end up in a damp climate,
they will get sluggish. Or if they go to a climate which
has severe humidity changes at different times of year,
more free pinning might seem wiser than firmer. Luckily
Oregon isn't such a place, so I dare set them where I want
them, knowing that they won't start seizing the
following June.

By all means give me your two possible explanations.
All I've got are my own observations. I think about
the hammer staying around longer, but it's just my
own idea.

Best,
Susan