[CAUT] BAck ckeck pullers (was:balancier/wippens report)

Jeff Tanner jtanner at mozart.sc.edu
Tue Dec 19 10:15:33 MST 2006

On Dec 19, 2006, at 10:35 AM, Jon Page wrote:

> >any chance of supplying one of the snap ring pliers
>
> I use the plier type upright hammer head extractor to lift them.
> --
>
> Regards,
>
> Jon Page

Have any of you had any issues with S&S backchecks, once pulled,
being driven back down by checking?  I'm thinking that once
extracted, the grip the backcheck has on the wire would be weakened
and the backcheck height would become unstable.

I've done it on one piano that was a real problem, but have no way to
measure whether the backchecks have been driven back down.  I was not
comfortable pulling the backchecks.  IMO, backcheck height should be
a constant.  Once hammers are replaced, the backcheck height would
have to be readjusted.

By the way, I used small vice grips clamped to the bottom of the wire
and a screw type vertical hammershank puller.  Rebending and
regulation is required.  But if you don't use the vice grips it
really distorts the backcheck wire bends.

Tim Coates wrote:
>  The shank at rest should dissect the backcheck at the line that
> separates the top third from the middle third.

Wouldn't this "rule" completely depend on the relationship of the
tail length to the overall length of the hammer and where the boring
on the hammer is in relationship to hammerblow distance?

If all the regulation specs (including checking) are "correct" with
new hammers, then as hammers are filed, compensations must be made so
that hammer shank height remains constant, or proper checking will be
an increasing problem with each filing of the hammer.

Jeff

Jeff Tanner, RPT
University of South Carolina