[CAUT] balancier/wippens report/ JimB

Ric Brekne ricbrek at broadpark.no
Fri Dec 22 06:00:07 MST 2006

Hi Jim

I have no negative experience with the strong balancier pinning myself.
Most of the arguments I hear in favor are reasonable enough to say the
least. I don't like to end up with the jack slamming into the stop/rest
felt tho.  Seems like no matter what you do to soften that cushion it
will get packed down pretty fast with a too strong jack. That said... up
to a point a strong return of the jack seems to help repetition issues
quite a bit. As for the balancier and hammer pinning.  I get the feeling
there are several combinations of these that will in any case allow for
acceptable checking. In the end tho... the knuckle/jack relationship is
critical for repetition, and the hammer must end up having an effective
weight (including frictions) that doesn't get in the way of that and at
the same time allows for the hammer to easily reach the check itself on
a reasonably soft blow.  Some where between pp and ppp play I suppose.
If these things are in good shape... then it seems to me any checking
problems have to lie with other issues.

I haven't had the "pleasure" of running into the new New York low
friction pinning.  Tho side play would be my first concern. And the lack
of natural a breaking effect would be right behind.  You only need to
get an action playing so fast.  It is possible to achieve repetition
speeds in excess of what pianists can use. Years of getting them as fast
as I could taught me that pianists by and large don't really like that
feel to begin with and cant exploit the extra speed anyways.  I mean...
do you know anyone who can play a 64th note at a 160 tempo :)

Cheers and Merry Christmas.

RicB

   Ric,

   Fwiw, I agree with your disagreement on Wim's points (1,2 & 4). That is
   also my experience. I would also like to see an article/collaboration on
   the topic.

   Richard Davenport strongly advocates 8-10 grams (I believe) in the
   balancier pinning and offers compelling reasons. It might be good to get
   his input, since that is one of his big "things".

   Also, S&S promotion of 1-3 pinning in the hammer flanges and "Zero is OK
   as long as there is no side play..." (paraphrased from their manual)
   needs debunking. It's flat wrong IMO. Even though they do have their
   "special" impregnated bushing cloth, zero simply ain't good.

   Regards,

   Jim Busby