[CAUT] Backcheck replacement revisited (was: balancier/wippens report)

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Sun Dec 24 12:48:58 MST 2006

In looking at these pictures, I think we might be missing why the
Tokiwa's checks work better than the Steinway checks. I don't think it
is the check. I think it is the wire, not how thick it is, but how much
of it is being allowed to "bend" and catch the tail. Look at the bottom
of the wire, and you will see that the knurled part of the Steinway
wire is almost twice as long of as the Tokiwa's. With this much wire
stuck in the key,and less of it outside, the wire is not allow to give,
and accept the hammer coming down. That is why, I think, when I raised
the checks on my D, the hammers were able to check, because there was
more wire to bend and give. Does this make any sense?

Wim

Quoting Israel Stein <custos3 at comcast.net>:

> At 11:00 AM 12/23/2006, caut-request at ptg.org wrote:
>
> >Too bad you can't send some pictures.  While not conclusive, it
> >would be interesting.
> >
> >Happy holidays
> >
> >David Skolnik
>
> Well, I got ambitious and took some pictures. Front view, side view,
>
> and side view with the approximate angle when installed in the piano.
>
> I hope they are useful. JPG files are attached. Steinway current
> style - red felt, Tokiwa's old-style Steinway - green felt.
>
> Israel Stein

Willem Blees, RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music