[CAUT] Backcheck replacement revisited (was: balancier/wippens report)

Israel Stein custos3 at comcast.net
Sun Dec 24 15:20:56 MST 2006

At 11:00 AM 12/24/2006, David Skolnik wrote:

>The wire dimensions would be useful.  The Steinway looks thicker,
>though that might be an illusion.

It isn't an illusion. The Steinway wire is .115" thick, the Tokiwa is .099"...

>  Still, the comparative wire characteristics would be
> interesting.  I wonder what, if any, functional difference there
> would be between these, which are installed at 90 degrees, then
> bent, verses the older style of angled installation.  For one
> thing, I think it alters the discussion about removing them or
> increasing the height.  I don't think you can effectively use
> hammer removing pliers directly under the heads with this type of
> wire configuration.  They would work in conjunction with a second
> gripping too, positioned at the wire bend.
>
>Its easy to see why changing out these checks would solve your
>problem, without resorting to tail roughing or weakening springs.

Yes. Especially since tail roughing and spring weakening did not help
much...  ;-)

>Nice camera work.  Maybe we can talk to Sherry (of "We did something
>wrong" fame) , over there in Tuscaloosa to get you in to take some
>pictures while aWim's away skiing-not in Denver.

Hmm... I got rid of my lighting equipment when I quit commercial
photography years ago - and without it I couldn't do much better than
Wim in Tuscaloosa... It would take some fancy lighting to get a good
shot of what Wim tried to picture. In contrast, to get a good shot of
a few backchecks all it took was a sheet of very white paper and a
desk lamp. And some cropping in Photoshop. But thanks for the
compliment anyway... And thanks for the analysis and the insight.

Israel Stein