[CAUT] Loaner programs

Tunethepno@aol.com Tunethepno@aol.com
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 05:40:50 EST

In a message dated 2/10/2006 11:51:37 A.M. US Eastern Standard Time,
atodd@uh.edu writes:

Is  anyone using Yamaha for any kind of a "loaner" program?
If so, how is it  working for you?

    I am a contract tuner for a college and a  University that use the Yamaha
loan program from the local dealer. As far as the  business end of the deal,
I only know bits and pieces but could find out more if  there are specific
questions. From the piano maintenance end of it: the pianos  go out of tune more
quickly than the "resident" pianos, at least for the first  semester, but that
is not such a big deal. The reliability of the action is  a little better on
the new ones. (Not the case when we had the Baldwin loaner  program,
unfortunately.)
    The idea from Yamaha's perspective is that if the  university buys up to
20% of the loaners each year, in five years they will have  bunch of young
pianos that are reliable and have the Yamaha name in front of  teachers and
students. From the dealers perspective, they get to have a  "university sale" on
campus after the school year and tend to get some alumni in  for piano purchases
that might otherwise be putting off a big ticket item. From  the universities
perspective, these new pianos are much better than the beaters  that were in
there before. Also, for current as well as prospective students, a  bunch of
newish looking pianos that play well and sound good give a positive  impression
of the music school.
    John Stroup