[CAUT] The Ideal Tool Case Revisited

Jeff Olson jlolson@cal.net
Sun, 12 Feb 2006 22:18:50 -0800

"Tools Anonymous" :)).  I like that. =20

The nice thing about having a business that requires tools is that we =
can always (or almost always;-) justify satisfying our secret urges as a =
"necessary business expense."

Btw, my new tool bag fell over today and scratched a section of a =
freshly refinished grand desk.  Not that I can blame the bag.  It was my =
mistake -- placing them so near each other was obviously tempting Mr. =
Murphy.  Still, I can't help but wonder if the honeymoon is over...

;-(  Jeff O.
  ----- Original Message -----=20
  From: Brad Smith, RPT=20
  To: College and University Technicians=20
  Sent: Saturday, February 11, 2006 4:53 AM
  Subject: Re: [CAUT] The Ideal Tool Case Revisited

  Jeff, I feel your pain.=20
  As one of the older members of "Tools Anonymous", (A non-profit =
organization that helps those of us who can't resist buying cool tools =
for the slightest excuse)....I have also struggled my whole life with =
the problem of buying tool cases and nifty luggage in general.  If it =
has an adjustable strap or Velcro of some kind, I will likely find it =
irresistible. I once joined the Audubon Society, just because they =
offered a neat tote bag. At a recent PTG convention, I think I averaged =
$250 of purchases per break, and nearly $1000 at one table. =20

  Regarding tool cases, the only thing I've found that will help this =
condition is the following process:=20

  Take the old tool case and store it out of view for six months.  When =
you see it again, you'll get a similar feeling of excitement like when =
you bought it in the first place.=20
  Rotate the tool cases into daily use as needed.  If you have a severe =
condition, you might have to rotate 3-4 cases.  This should prevent at =
least one purchase annually, even though it will not completely =
eradicate the problem.  It is a permanent condition, with no known cure. =

  You'll also need to come up with elaborate exuses to justify these =
purchases, either to your spouse or perhaps the IRS.  Every situation is =
different, and every spouse will exact their own unique punishment, as =
will the humorless and unfeeling Internal Revenue Service.=20

  I have a customer who is one of the country's top gun leather =
(holster) makers. http://mitchrosen.com/welcome/welcome.html=20
  Someday, we'll get him to use his craft to make the ultimate cool tool =
bag, with customized leather pouches for all of our tools. He laughs at =
me when I ask about it, because it would be prohibitively expensive.  =
But I can dream can't I ?=20

  Life is short, buy the GOOD one.=20

  --=20
  Best Regards,=20
  Brad Smith, RPT
  www.SmithPiano.com=20
  II III II III II III II III II III II III