[CAUT] Steinway B breaking strings

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Mon, 13 Feb 2006 16:36:16 -0600

> We are going to swap the pianos in her studio to see how the up until
> now less played piano behaves.

There it is. Now we can see how much hammering on the piano
sharpens the capo. Also, does this piano have a decent dynamic
range? Can it produce a convincing fortissimo, or is she
trying to pound sound out of something that doesn't have it to
give?

> But in the meantime, do you suggest I let down the tension and
> "shoeshine" the capo to see if that helps?  Any other suggestions?

Swapping pianos will be your most valuable diagnostic. While
piano #2 is being pounded on, clean up the capo on #1 and
restring those sections so someone else can use the piano.
Then wait and see which piano starts having broken strings.

> I realize piano technicians know nothing of piano technique, and all
> the foremost authorities of string breakage are PERFORMING ARTISTS  and
> not technicians, physicists or engineers.  But at what point can  we say
> that fortissimo is pushing the machine past its design  limitations?
>
> Thanks.  I'm off to change two more strings in her studio.  And no,
> this piano is never in tune anymore.

How about micing the piano and amplifying it right up close to
her. Maybe if it hurts enough, she'll back off.
Ron N