[CAUT] Steinway B breaking strings

A440A@aol.com A440A@aol.com
Tue, 14 Feb 2006 09:59:01 EST

Fred writes:

<< Hi Jeff,
    I'd say the overwhelming probability is it is the pianist's
technique. I've seen it so often: new prof or student comes, strings
start popping.

    Problem being, of course, the ancient problem of balance between
killer octaves and the rest, and that what is wanted is for the
killer octave to stand out against the background of the rest. <snip>

    The solution I suggest, not having access to the pianist's brain, is
to voice down the bottom half of the piano, say G4 to A0. Make it
easier for the mid treble to stand out. Make the piano do what the   >>

Greetings,
     This is good advice, and just may make the difference.  I will add
another thought.  Change the temperament!  I have seen pianists become much more
aware of what was actually coming out of the piano when all of a sudden there
was something to listen for.  Much piano music is written so that in a
well-tempered piano, the melodic line is harmonically contrasted with the
accompaniment.  When there is contrast built into the piano's sound, it is amazing how much
more open the overall harmony appears.
   Since there is change being demanded in this situation, it is an open
invitation to try the least expensive, and perhaps the most profound alteration,
first.  I would use a very mild deviation from the strict equal, and going
farther than Fred suggested, I would voice the entire instrument so that
brilliance follows volume.  When the hammers are so hard that the tone remains the same
from pp to FF, the pianist has nothing but sheer volumne to work with, and
gradually they begin playing everything at the top of their power.
    If this cheap, quick change doesn't work, then go ahead and change
pianos,  but I think the problem will just begin anew.
Regards,
Ed Foote RPT