[CAUT] PTG server downtime over next two weekends

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 08:44:55 -0700

PTG mailing list subscribers,

Sorry if you get multiple copies of this message.  I'm posting it
to subscribers of pianotech, caut, and ptg-l.  Any questions about
this post should be addressed to the PTG Electronic Communications
Committee, ecc@ptg.org.

This weekend, I will be taking the PTG server down for some extended
maintenance.  During the downtime, mail posted to ptg.org addresses
will be delayed and the www.ptg.org website will be unavailable.  I
hope to keep the downtime minimized, but if the need arises, I will
be spreading the downtime out so that the server stays available during
high usage times (and so that I can sleep and have a life while the
maintenance work is going on).

What can you do to help?

	PLEASE DON'T SEND TEST MESSAGES TO
	THE LISTS TO SEE IF THEY ARE UP!

Sorry for yelling, but it just creates noise on the lists.  There's
no need to send posts testing the lists because I'm announcing now
that there will be some downtime.  If you think the lists are not
working correctly outside of the times listed below, please contact
admin@ptg.org and we'll look into it.  No need to post test messages
that go to many hundreds of people and fill up the archives.

Although we've had a few server crashes over the years (that's one of
the issues I'm addressing with the maintenance), I'm very proud to say
the availability of the PTG server has been quite good.  Hundreds of
messages flow through it daily, along with hundreds of thousands of
web accesses.  The members of the ECC and the PTG staff all work hard
to keep this valuable resource available and this maintenance will
contribute to higher server availability in the future.  We appreciate
your understanding and apologize for any inconvenience.

-andy (PTG server administrator and ECC member)

Scheduled downtimes -- the PTG server MAY be down during these times:

	Saturday 2-18, 9pm Eastern through 7am the following morning
	Sunday   2-19, 11pm Eastern through 7am the following morning
	Monday   2-20, 9pm Eastern through 7am the following morning

	Friday   2-24, 9pm Eastern through 7am the following morning
	Saturday 2-25, 11pm Eastern through 7am the following morning
	Sunday   2-26, 9pm Eastern through 7am the following morning

NOTE: My hope is the total downtime adds up to only a small number of
       hours -- but if unforeseen problems arise, we'll need to use more
       of the time allotted above to deal with the issues.