[CAUT] Professional-vs-Trade

James Ellis claviers@nxs.net
Thu, 16 Feb 2006 18:03:34 -0500

I'm reading the debate between Richard and Wim.  Pardon me, fellows, but I
have been studying, as I told you I would, and I have concluded that there
is too much overlap here between trade associations and professional
organizations for us to argue about it like this.

According to Encyclopedia Americana, the trade associations, various kinds
of businesses, corporate and otherwise, came into being largely as a result
of the labor unions - to counteract the effects some labor unions were
having on some business.

Trade associations - manufacturers, etc. started setting prices.  The
government set up laws to prevent price fixing.  It goes on and on.  The
point here is that trade associations usually include corporate entities.
PTG does not.  It's a corporate entity in itself, but it's made up of
individuals, not corporations.  On the other hand, I think Bazil Mezines
considered PTG to be more of a Trade association than anthing else, and
that's why price fixing was such a sensitive issue.

I don't understand why it's legal for a trade union to set prices, but not
for a trade association.  Perhaps it has to do with what I just read in the
Encyclopedia.  Israel, you said you have a degree in History, can you help
me out here?

I have not been able to find any good definitions, but I have found plenty
of examples of each type of organization.  There is such a smear of
overlapping exammples that I think we have to define ourselves.  But the
more I look at it, the more I think we fit into the mold of professional
organization than we do trade association, due to the simple fact that most
trade associations include corporate entities, and we don't.  I don't think
we should, either.

So:  I'm back to where I was yesterday.  I think we are an "open
professional organization", meaning that we are a professional
organization, but we accept into membership any level of expertise, no
matter how low or high, and even professions that are just related to ours,
but not necessarily the same, a piano refinisher, for example.

I know I'm back-peddling from something I said a few days ago, but this is
based upon what I'm reading.

Israel, did your study of history cover these areas?  If so, help us out here.

Until I know better, I'm going to say PTG is an "open professional
organization".

Sincerely, Jim Ellis, RPT