[CAUT] Yamaha verticals

Ron Nossaman rnossaman@cox.net
Sat, 18 Feb 2006 10:11:00 -0600

Tuning new Yamaha verticals reminds me more every year of
1098s. The low counter bearing angle and very tight pins that
you have to crank quite a ways before the bottom moves, makes
for interesting tuning. The tuning pin bushings do help, as do
a couple of yearly cycles through the typical 70%+ to 30%-
institutional humidity swings. In homes with good humidity
control, they'll probably be like this forever!

I tuned a T116 yesterday, and I've got to ask. Why did Yamaha
design something with a forty pound combination front and
fallboard and not give us a block on the top back side of the
front board to use as a secure handle to lift the thing out?
The P22s have the block the lock is mounted in up there, and
it's a perfect handle, but the T116 isn't as accommodating. If
you can't manage to weasel a few fingertips under the name
board felt in front (never mind finding the balance point),
that leaves the hinged fallboard strip to use as a handle (and
again finding the balance point). I don't like that. It's too
much weight to put on those hinges, and the strip doesn't come
square to the fallboard. It angles out some, which does little
for security of grip. Folks with wet sticky hands won't be
overly endangered, but hands as dry as mine typically are
offer no traction on polished polyester surfaces, so it's just
a matter of time before the tuning fee goes back into a
polyester repair job. Maybe I'll try to find a couple of very
large tree frogs I could stick on and use as temporary handles.

How do you dry handed 140 pounders out there get into these
things without generating polyester debris fields?

Ron N