[CAUT] Another first

Aaron Bousel abousel@comcast.net
Tue, 21 Feb 2006 13:11:19 -0500

--=====================_19891515==.ALT
I thought I'd seen every possible configuration of a vertical piano
over the past three decades, but I saw one recently that was new to
me. This is an Estey made in 1891. I'm attaching a sketch I made but
here's how this is supposed to work. The backcheck is in two parts,
and pivots by a center pin towards the top. There is a coil spring
towards the bottom. The idea is that upon release of the hammer from
check the backcheck will give a little push on the catcher, just
enough to help the jack get back against the butt felt. There's a set
screw at the very top of the backcheck which limits the travel of the
piece that pushes the catcher. The piano was in such poor condition
that there was no way I could see if this theory actually worked in
practice, though I don't see why it wouldn't.
[]

Aaron

Aaron Bousel
Registered Piano Technician, Piano Technicians Guild
abousel@comcast.net
(413) 253-3846 (voice & fax)
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...

A non-text attachment was scrubbed...