[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Rob & Helen Goodale rrg@unlv.nevada.edu
Wed, 22 Feb 2006 09:31:22 -0800

Hello,
Typically I stay in the back ground and just observe the list but I have =
worthy inquiry.  I am the staff tech at UNLV, (University of Nevada, Las =
Vegas).  We have +/-65 pianos and occasionally a few must be moved =
around.  I have one grand and one upright that I keep aside for when =
someone needs one for special events.  The upright has a permanent heavy =
truck on it for moving around.  For grands I use a method that involves =
tilting the piano up onto the skid while it's already on the dolly.  The =
dolly is custom made with extra large hard wheels.  Two of the wheels do =
not swivel so that it doesn't skip out while lifting.  If it is a =
reasonably small grand, (nothing larger than a C-3), then it is =
surprisingly simple.  I'm sure there are others who do this.  Anyway to =
the point.

After lifting and moving pianos for years my back has just about had it. =
 Every so often it slips out of place and I find myself in pain for =
several days.  Recently I was required to move several pianos in a day =
and it just about did me in.  This morning I found myself stiff and =
unable to crawl out of bed.  The reality is that I can't continue doing =
this.  At age 40 I have a long way to go and I don't fancy ruining my =
back for the likes of ungrateful university staff.

I would like to know what other university techs have done regarding =
piano moves.  Because of liability reasons they are not too enthusiastic =
about getting students to do it.  The facilities management people are =
not reliable and can't be trusted to show up on time.  The Faculty is =
certainly not interested in getting their hands dirty.  I have =
occasionally called in another outside tech but that is not always =
possible.  Unfortunately my Jedi skills aren't mastered well enough to =
move pianos using "The Force".  So... what do YOU do?

Rob Goodale, RPT
Las Vegas, NV