[CAUT] Moving Pianos on Campus

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco@luther.edu
Thu, 23 Feb 2006 08:45:23 -0600

At 07:57 AM 2/23/2006 -0500, you wrote:

>Unless it is specified in your job description, have them
>employ a moving company. If it is specified, change it.
>
>Which would they rather have, a bill for moving the piano
>or a disability claim and having to search for another tech.
>
>Right now they are taking advantage or your conscientious
>endeavors (cheap labor). If they want it moved...there's a
>cost involved, just don't make it your well being.
>
>--
>

>Regards,
>
>Jon Page

I guess I'm the strongbackweakminded one here, but I've been involved with
moves since I got here. (25 years now)  The end of my first year here we
moved out of six locations around campus to a new building. I directed and
helped on all the moves to interim locations (i.e. temp. storage so old
locations could be renovated). Just before school started, we hired an
outside crew (Thankfully, I've forgotten who) to move the 60+ pianos we had
at the time from that storage into the new building. [I was busy prepping
the 15 new ones we just had delivered]

No pianos got harmed in _my_ moves, four needed repair after the
"professional" move.

Most of the time ever since, I've assisted/directed all grand moves, with
the campus crew, but no longer feel a need to assist with consoles.

The harpsichords are either moved by me or the harpsichord instructor - or
she and I will move them by ourselves. I have worked out ways to move them
and the fortepiano unaided, but much prefer a second person.

I _always_ am along on the portativ organ moves (around campus). All bets
are off when a choir decides to take it on a bus tour [as one recently
did]. ;-(

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.