[CAUT] Water Damage to Practice Room U1s

lafargue@bellsouth.net lafargue@bellsouth.net
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 08:03:54 -0600

Bill,
Having seen over 200 flooded pianos after the hurricanes and many floods
over the last 20 years, I've seen a lot of this. Be glad they've been in
clean water and not sewerage/swamp water.   The Yamahas, by far, fair
the best.  The glue and joinery holds much better than all other brands.
You being in a climate that is both wet and dry, I would suggest
Dampp-chasers to stabilize and minimize future expansion and contraction
that may expedite weakening.  I have regularly seen both Yamaha grands
and uprights that were completely under water, that still had good glue
joints throughout (no we don't save the submerged ones).  If not for the
action, particle board, and strings (for the most part) the piano looks
pretty normal.  As for the long term, I have repaired pianos (like
restringing and action work) and not had a significant number come back
with rib, pinblock, or bridge problems.  Overall, Yamahas do well under
water.

The rusted strings can be rubbed with scotchbrite, then treated with a
chemical called CRC.  I would not apply to the windings, though.  This
stuff seals the pores of the steel, stopping the oxidation process.
Tight balance rail holes are normal here in LA.  I mic the pin and chuck
a drill bit of the appropriate size >BACKWARDS< in a T-handle to quickly
ease them from below when they are just slightly tight.  Also, ironing
the key bushings and using McLube on the key pins and capstans gets that
working slick again.  Good luck.

Lance Lafargue, RPT
LAFARGUE PIANOS, LTD
New Orleans Chapter, PTG