[CAUT] Glenn Gould/Bach stuff

Michelle Stranges stranges@Oswego.EDU
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 14:27:02 -0500

OK folks-

This will most likely be my longest post yet so brace yourselves..

Last night after work I stopped at my local favorite thrift store
where some kind soul had donated a massive selection of classical CD's.
Don't panic everyone for I will never get rid of my Ramones and Clash
CD's but I sure do love Glenn Gould playing Bach.
I found about $25.00 of Glenn Gould CD's for EXCELLENT prices and
bought all that I could find of those that I dind't have.

These CD's were the "GlennGould Edition" recorded by Sony classical.
(you know... the ones where his picture on the front are kinda blue
in color.)

OK.

The CD in particular I am talking about is this.

Glenn Gould Edition
J.S. Bach
Two and Three Part Inventions
BWV 772-801

SMK 52 596 is the uhhhh.. "isbn" number.

It was originally recorded in 1966 and remastered to CD in 1992.

I put this CD in my car and just about came to a grinding halt when I
heard the music start playing.
Nooo.... I know about his "humming" when he plays- it's not that.
(Not even his creaking piano chair.)

It's this.

And it was immediate.

What I heard was either springs to strong combined with let-off
massively close enough that certain notes were *double striking*!

I do have other CD's of his that I am familiar with and I have never
noticed this "problem" with the piano.

I know that this guy was SUPER picky, and a genius  to allow
something like that to occur and remain as the finished product.
(And so were the Steinway Technicians!?!)

I gave the CD to our audio engineer and he put it through "Pro Tools"
for me and I could *SEE* the double striking happneing as well as
hearing it.
I asked him to do this becasue I was wondering if my car speakers
were on the fritz.

And I will NOT tell you of the (loud) discussion we got into about
recording techniques/materials and audio components and how *they've*
changed as opposed to piano regulating techniques and how they've NOT
changed. It got pretty heated to where he was telling me that maybe
they didn't hear it at all??

I *refuse* to believe someone didn't hear this.

Especially Glenn.

I wish I could post an audio example of this for everyone to hear for
I was really shocked.

Does ANYONE know about this and what I'm writing about?
I'm so **very** curious.

Shanks!

:)
michelle