[CAUT] Glenn Gould/Bach stuff

Andy Rudoff andy@rudoff.com
Fri, 24 Feb 2006 13:12:50 -0700

> I'm going to listen to this some more but I don't know if I can ever get
> past the double striking I'm hearing all over the place.
> You didn't mention this regulation problem in your post..
>
> You DID hear that too didn't you??

Oh yes, the bobbling on that recording is very obvious.  But it couldn't
be fixed by regulation -- the action was really busted up, and the sound
board and case had significant damage as well.  Gould just couldn't give
up on his old favorite piano.

Even when Gould played on pianos that were not noisy, he always sat on
a rather short, custom-made chair that squeaked horribly as he rocked
back and forth.  Last I heard, the chair was still on display at a
museum in Ottawa.

Hopefully your recent acquisition includes Gould playing the 48, the
Partitas, the French suites or the English suites.  Those are all really
stellar recordings on well-prepared pianos with a minimal amount of
humming.  As far as I know, they were all made on that same Steinway
(before it was dropped, of course).

-andy