[CAUT] backchecks and capsizing, (was Glenn Gould/BachStuff

central jorge1ml@mail.cmich.edu
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 11:14:34 -0500

David,
    If I understood Ed correctly, "Capsizing" refers to a condition where a
hammer gets caught by the backcheck below the hammer line during fast
staccato repetition with the jack impaled helplessly against the front side
of the knuckle.   Too much distance between shanks and rest felts allows
this.
   Deeper causes include just about every aspect of parts, regulation, and
geometry.  Recall also those articles by CAUT forefather Ken Sloan on
repetition failure and hammer tail length etc.
     I'd sure never tell a customer whose piano suffers those maladies they
have "Catastrophic Action Failure" if that's the official PTG term.
"Occasionally Capsizing hammers" seems a little less severe.
-Mike