[CAUT] damper question

Wimblees@aol.com Wimblees@aol.com
Tue, 28 Feb 2006 13:18:45 EST

One of our piano profs complained that F6 on her B was not damping.  She has
been playing this piano, and other B's, not to mention D's and  other pianos,
for I don't know how long, (she's about 75 years old).  But now, all of a
sudden, she complains that the note is not damping. Go figure.

But this kind of got me interested in something. I looked at other  pianos,
from small spinets to concert grands, and noticed that dampers end  anywhere
from D6 - G6. There doesn't seem to be any rhyme or reason or pattern  where
they end. So my question is, is there a "rule of thumb," or something much  more
sophisticated, to tell an scaler or piano engineer where to stop the  dampers?

Wim
Willem Blees,  RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music