[CAUT] Hot Hide glue woes (??)

ed440@mindspring.com ed440@mindspring.com
Mon, 9 Jan 2006 21:32:44 -0500 (EST)

The color depends on when in the process the glue is extracted from the hides.
The first boil is lightest, then each extraction grows darker and smellier.
The darker it is, the longer it takes to set, which may be why darker glue was used for piano rims.
I believe the clearest is the weakest, but is still stronger than wood.
Bjorn Industries produces 12 grades of hide glue to produce various viscosities as needed by the furniture trades.
Very industrious, those Bjorns.
Ed Sutton