[CAUT] magnetized screwdriver

Christopher Purdy purdy@ohio.edu
Wed, 11 Jan 2006 15:46:09 -0500

This is a bit off topic but an interesting question about tools.  I
recently have found a couple of my screwdrivers had voluntarily become
magnetized somehow.  I couldn't figure out why but my student says that
dropping the tool can do it somehow.  He can't defend his theory but
says that either denting or the impact realigns the polarity somehow.

Is this true?  Can someone confirm or deny this and explain how in
terms a dummy like me can understand?

If this is true, is it possible to de-magnetize something?  How would
you do it, drop it again?  How do you undrop something?

Chris

Christopher D. Purdy R.P.T.
School of Music, Ohio University
Rm. 311, Robt. Glidden Hall