[CAUT] M & H model 50

David Ilvedson ilvey@sbcglobal.net
Sun, 15 Jan 2006 12:13:44 -0800

I agree with Wim.  The bobblying is certainly because the jack isn't ge=
tting away from the butt enough...make sure the checking distance is ri=
ght...

David Ilvedson, RPT
Pacifica, California

Original message
From: Wimblees@aol.com
To: caut@ptg.org
Subject: Re: [CAUT] M & H model 50

In a message dated 1/15/2006 12:23:47 A.M. Central Standard Time, abous=
el@comcast.net writes:
There is a Mason & Hamlin upright model 50 (vintage 1975) I service and=
 at the last tuning the owner was complaining about bobbling hammers. T=
he hammer pinning is very loose. I played around with the note that was=
 bothering her the most and through a combination of repinning and stre=
ngthening the hammer return spring was able to all but eliminate the pr=
oblem. The piano is in good regulation. Here's the issue: The action is=
 really poorly made. 1975 was not exactly the golden age for these. In =
repinning the one I did, I could see that the flange bushing cloth was =
poor quality. It would be wonderful to replace the whole action, but th=
at's not going to happen. Does anyone know if it's possible to get repl=
acement hammer flanges? These flanges are different from the generic on=
es sold by piano supply houses. If that's not possible, I have to go wi=
th rebushing what's there. Any recommendations on a good source of flan=
ge bushing cloth? I know M&H are making these again. Anyone know if the=
 action design is the same?

thanks,
Aaron

Aaron.

The problem might not be in the flange pinning. You need to figure out =
why it is bobbling. It could be that there is not enough key dip. Even =
taking out a .005" punching is sometimes enough to make a difference. A=
lso check the condition of the catcher. Roughing it up a bit will give =
the back check something to grab a hold of. Try pushing the back check =
forward or back a little, and see if that will get it to check better. =

Wim
Willem Blees RPT
Piano Tuner/Technician
School of Music