[CAUT] disability insurance

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 15:07:45 -0500

On Jan 19, 2006, at 1:01 PM, Jim Busby wrote:

> Jeff,
>

> How much does =93disability insurance=94 cost? What does it cover? =20
> Would Brent Fischer have been covered for his hearing loss? It =20
> brings a lot of questions to mind.

It is typically very reasonable, but different companies/policies =20
cover different things, and cost varies from duck to buck to lion.  =20
The company I worked for didn't exactly have the portfolio of =20
products that got you in middle income homes very often, so I really =20
never got the opportunity to sell it, and consequently never really =20
learned our product well.  We spend most of our time pushing debit =20
level products and collecting premiums.  It's been several years =20
since I've been in that business and I don't remember much about =20
cost, except that as a whole, disability insurance is a bargain.  My =20
statement of bennies doesn't say what the state pays on my behalf, =20
but I pay $3.64/mo for a supplement to the state's long term =20
disability plan.  I feel pretty confident that a disability like =20
Brent's would normally be covered, at least until he finds a =20
different way of earning a living, if he can.  UNLESS, it's covered =20
by workman's comp first, but that's a whole different ball of wax.  =20
Even then there may still be something.

If your employer offers it, I recommend it.  If you're self employed, =20=

look seriously at it and compare ducks, bucks and lions and Andrews =20
and Benjamins.

> BTW, The LDS Church hasn=92t gone to fingerprinting, but they are now =20=

> requiring =93two deep leadership=94 which means that no adult can be =20=

> alone with a minor. (It=92s not world wide, yet.)
This is being done at our Baptist church also.  But Baptist churches =20
are individually autonomous, so I'm sure that's simply at the advice =20
of the Southern Baptist Convention.

> On a different note, Dan Levitan says that many people in NY are =20
> preferring women piano technicians over men because they don=92t want =20=

> some strange man in their house. That may indicate the need for =20
> more women technicians. It could also mean that men techs need to =20
> be less =93strange=94.   :- )

Now there's an idea.  Our sound guy said he worked somewhere once =20
where the technician completely spooked most all the gals and had one =20=

guest artist who refused to be in the room with him.  Said I was the =20
most "normal" piano tuner he's ever worked with - whatever that =20
means.  We really do need to think about that.

Jeff T