[CAUT] disability insurance

Jeff Tanner jtanner@mozart.sc.edu
Thu, 19 Jan 2006 16:31:11 -0500

On Jan 19, 2006, at 2:56 PM, Wimblees@aol.com wrote:

> As a standard, Social Security will pay benefits when you are not
> able to perform any duties of any job after being totally disabled
> after 6 months. The payments will continue as long as you are in
> that condition. How much the payments are I don't know, but I
> assume it is what senior citizens are getting when they retire.

It usually takes an experienced lawyer a couple of applications to
get you Social Security disability benefits.  I have long forgotten
how the SS disability benefits are calculated.  I've seen some pretty
lame (pun intended) injuries qualify for benefits, but it will take
you a lawyer to help you get them.

> The definition of disability also varies, from not being able to
> perform your "normal" duties, to not being able to do anything in
> your trained profession. My policy says my "normal" profession. In
> other words, if I did loose my hearing, my policy would cover me.

I just found mine. It says (these are more or less the definitions I
remember from college):

Definition of Disability:
You are disabled if you meet one of the following definitions during
the period it applies:

A.  Own Occupation Definition of Disability;

(You are disabled from your Own Occupation if, as a result of
Physical Disease, Mental Disorder, Injury or Pregnancy, you are
unable to perform with reasonable continuity the Material Duties of
your Own Occupation)

You may work in another occupation, while you meet the Own Occupation
Definition of Disability.  If you are disabled from your Own
Occupation, there is no limit on your Work Earnings in another
occupation.  (although there may be a deductible income issue -- they
basically don't want you to earn more on disability than before you
were disabled)

B.  Any Occupation Definition of Disability; or

(You are Disabled from Any Occupation if, as a result of Physical
Disease, Mental Disorder, Injury or Pregnancy, you are unable to
perform with reasonable continuity the Material Duties of any gainful
occupation for which you are reasonably fitted by education, training
and experience)

C.  Partial Disability Definition.

(During the Any Occupation Period, you are Partially Disabled when
you work in an occupation but, as a result of Physical Disease,
Mental Disorder, Injury or Pregnancy, you are unable to earn more
than the Any Occupation Income Level in that occupation and in all
other occupations for which you are reasonably fitted under the Any
Occupation Definition of Disability.)

I left out the complicated stuff, and changed around the order as it
appears in the policy to simplify the explanation but that's the
general idea.  There are issues like "deductible income" but I'm
looking at the supplemental policy.  I don't have the state
disability policy in front of me.  The benefit is usually some
percentage of current income, depending on what you're paying for
(you don't get many options with a group plan), and also varies
depending on which definition of disability you meet, but remember,
social security benefits are also available, although they may be
"deductible income".

You just have to look at each plan.  The law requires that the
language to be understandable by us regular joes who aren't lawyers,
so you should be able to make heads or tails of it.  Also, your
agent, although he's not going to want to, should be able to supply
you with a copy of a policy to be able to read before you purchase
it, and I seem to recall that you are supposed to have the right to
refuse for something like three days after you've received your
individual policy as well.

Man! been a while.

Jeff