[CAUT] Tuning Hammers

rwest1@unl.edu rwest1@unl.edu
Wed, 25 Jan 2006 07:22:38 -0600

I've had a question about the "ball type" tuning levers.  I bought
one last year because the buzz was that these hammers are
"ergonomically correct." i.e., align everything to make less stress
on the joints, etc.  Are there studies proving this?  I've returned
to my old tuning hammer because I found the ball type was causing
pain and cramping in the palm of my hand.  I think I determined that
the way I hold that lever causes me to use my fingers more often to
pull, and this was stressing my joints.  With the old fashioned
lever, I put the end of the lever in the knuckle area of my hand and
hardly use my fingers to pull the hammer.    Also the ball type lever
I bought was slightly shorter which require more effort to pull hence
more stress.   I'm interested in the fujan lever, but I'm concerned
about the ball.  Am I using improperly?

Richard West
University of Nebraska