[CAUT] Agraff levels

A440A at aol.com A440A at aol.com
Tue Jul 18 05:37:03 MDT 2006

I wrote:
>The entire agraffe is canted to one

> side,(usually the treble) When this problem is accompanied by poorly

> made agraffes,

> there is a real mess.  I usually have several hammers that are

> slightly crooked

> on the strike point in order to make even contact with the strings.

Wim replies:

It sounds like we're talking about two different issues. One is the

level of the agraff itself, compared to the level of the of the plate.

The other issue is the holes in the agraff, which is what I was

referrring to. Although there might be very minute differnces in the

plane of the holes compared to the top of the agraff, I think the holes

themselves are level. <<

      I was talking about both of these deviations.  I have seen agraffe
holes that were certainly not in the same plane as well as holes drilled in plates
that were definitely canted.

>>BTW, does Steinway make their own agraffs, or are they outsourced? >>

      It is my understanding that no piano maker makes their own agraffes,
with the possible exception of Bechstein.

Ed Foote RPT