[CAUT] Plate grinding tool

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Wed Jul 19 12:31:32 MDT 2006

Alan McCoy wrote:

> What is the best tool for grinding plates?

Hi Alan,
I have no idea what's best, but I use a 4" angle grinder, and
a die grinder with rotary files. Caution, BIG mess ahead. Eye
protection, ear protection, and dust mask. Full bug. Don't
have a strung piano uncovered anywhere in the vicinity either.
Bass strings die in the presence of iron dust.

>I want to change some
> counterbearing bars. While on the topic, is there a consensus as to the best
> counterbearing angle? Length of front duplex?
>
> Thanks.
>
> Alan

Look up Del's Journal article for details.
Ron N