[CAUT] "phing....pck.....pluug", was: Agraff levels

Fred Sturm fssturm at unm.edu
Fri Jul 21 07:35:39 MDT 2006

Hi Bill,
	Great post, good technique. I use a string level _first_ because it
is so much more efficient. Then I touch up string level and/or hammer
filing in doing the finish work (mating is a combination of fine
string level and hammer surface). I also find that it is more
efficient to do hammer squaring as I described in an earlier post: go
through every hammer on the bench. First space each hammer precisely
between its neighbors in strike position (shank between adjacent
crowns), then lower and space by burning to center crown between crowns.
	I have become more and more obsessive about efficient technique.
Nobody is willing to pay what it takes to do a truly fine job if you
are slow about it, at least out here in a state that vies with
Mississippi for lowest in most economic standings. Well, some people
are willing to pay, but they are few and far between.
	I used to do all my string leveling to the hammers, starting with a
level filing job, then leveling by mating (pressing hammer to
string). But I can get to a more precise place much faster if I start
by leveling the strings with a string level. Try it, you may like it.
A caveat: it does take practice to gain efficiency at "leveling with
a level." Just like tuning precise unisons, setting precise rep
string strength, or setting a precise hammer line. Or bending grand
damper wires. Minute, controlled movements. It can get very
frustrating if you yank a string too high, then are trying to get the
other two strings to that level. Kind of like seesawing on a tuning
hammer, jerk up, jerk down, never get to the center. Except that with
string leveling, pushing down is only possible within very small
parameters. So a good feel for precise pulling is essential. That
said, I can usually get a pretty fine level on a piano in an hour,
and then have very little touch up unless I am doing extraordinarily
persnickety work. Took me a good two hours when I first tried it with
a level.
Regards,
Fred Sturm
University of New Mexico