[CAUT] Russ Burgher passes

dan l tassin dltassinpiano at juno.com
Sun Jul 30 01:57:23 MDT 2006

Subject: Russ Burgher passes

Hi, All,

This has nothing to do with pianos, but I felt it was a  notable message
  to the  " Music World."

A sad  "note"  for a legend I once had the honor to play along side for a
few years in our Jazz Band
here in Jackson, Tenn.   Russ Burgher, one of the original members of the
Stan Kenton (Big Band) Orchestra,
has passed away.  Russ was a very intelligent, talented, and honored man.

This note from Gerald McGuire, below,  the director of our band,  " The
Jackson Swing Orchestra, "  tells a bit
about Russ.   He was very interesting to stand next to when we performed
from time to time, and especially
at rehearsals.   Wow !!   Russ told us some neat stories from the past
and about the Big Band era.  It had been a
pleasure in my life to have known Russ, AND to have played trumpet along
side him in our jazz band.

Oh, BTW,  Russ once was a  Sales  Representative of  BALDWIN  PIANO  CO.
 ( PTG, and Baldwin, Please Take Note.)

FYI : Russ was the last of the living original band members from Kenton's
Band.  I'm not sure how old Russ was,
         but I'd say he was mid-80's at least, maybe late 80's,  at his
passing.   ( Newspaper did not say.)

I thought you all would be interested in knowing this ...  that is all.

______________________________

Dan Tassin, RPT
Asst. Piano Tech, Blair SOM
Nashville Chapter, V.P.
DLTassinpiano at Juno.com
|| ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || ||| || |||
_______________________________

PS:  Past the "forward" (below) on to others who would like to know the
pasting of   "a bit of history"  in the Music World, and for Big Band Era
historians.

================================  Forwarding Message
===================================

I was saddened this morning when one of my church choir members told me
of reading the obituary for Russ Burgher in this morning's Jackson Sun.
Russ was a charter member of the community concert band and the jazz
band, and played with our jazz band until his health prevented him from
doing so a few years ago. Russ was a fine musician, and I learned a great
deal by playing with him in small groups over the years when he come to
live in Jackson. As a former member of the Stan Kenton Orchestra, he was
our direct link to the Big Band Era. Russ played with Kenton when Buddy
Childers was the lead trumpet. If you check out the "Time-Life Series"
recordings on Stan Kenton you will see Russ' name in the personnel
listing. I was always proud to announce that we had an actual veteran of
that era playing in our band. I know many of you (Jackson Jazz Band
members) knew Russ and played with him, and would want to know of his
passing. I have included the link to his obit on the Jackson Sun website
below.

http://miva.jacksonsun.com/miva/cgi-bin/miva?OBITS/obitsGO3detail.mv+link
=20060730243229

Gerald W. McGuire -- The Sax Doctor
McGuire Band Instrument Repair
saxdoctor at charter.net      www.saxdoctor.com
Greetings from Jackson, TN - home of legendary Carl Perkins
Jackson Area Community Jazz Band - www.jacbinc.com