[CAUT] Hamburg leg bolt

Ron Nossaman rnossaman at cox.net
Tue May 9 09:21:57 MDT 2006

> The Hamburg D here almost hit the floor as some
> students were moving it last week.  The bass leg came
> loose but they caught it in time and put a piano bench
> and books under it.

You'll have to come up with something creative for the bolt,
but it seems to me that you only have two viable choices on
the moving situation. The first is the stage truck. If there
is a wheel anywhere on that piano, you won't keep people from
moving it no matter what, so try to minimize the chances for
disaster with a good truck. Second option is to go with the
Transporter, replace the piano's casters with block spacers so
the Transporter HAS to be used to move it, or they'll have to
pick it up and carry it. More expensive, but clearly indicates
that the piano isn't intended to be moved arbitrarily by
anyone who wanders by. There's an option three, involving
bolting the piano to the floor, but that's a bit on the
cumbersome side.
  Ron N