[CAUT] Gram Tension Guages

David Love davidlovepianos at comcast.net
Thu May 18 20:24:06 MDT 2006

Ideas have changed somewhat I guess.  I think 5-7 grams of friction is too
much.  I usually aim for about 2 which is 7-9 swings bass to treble
respectively.    On a piano that gets heavy use in, say, a university
setting, I wouldn't mind if they started out higher.  For a Stanwood style
weigh off, 5-7 grams of friction in the flange creates too many problems
getting an accurate weigh off, especially upweight.  In general, I find that
for a total of 12-15 grams of friction in the bass maximum, 2 grams in the
flange is about all I want.

David Love
davidlovepianos at comcast.net