[CAUT] WAPIN INSTALLATION: LIVE!

Rick.Florence at asu.edu Rick.Florence at asu.edu
Sat Nov 4 08:49:16 MST 2006

Quoting Tim Coates <tcoates1 at sio.midco.net>:

> As far as I'm concerned, when someone like Olga Kern
> likes a piano you respect the piano.

I agree, but does she like it because of the Wapin bridge?  How can you
attribute her approval of the piano to a single element of such a complex
instrument?

> I never got to hear any of the
> pianos in the Rebuilders Gallery at Rochester before they were rebuilt.
> And I didn't hear anyone say "Yes, but what did it sound like
> before?"

I'm not sure I see the logic of your statement.  The rebuilders gallery pianos
were total rebuilds (new piano in Ron Overs' case) that were meant to display
the results of a compete work.  It didn't matter what they sounded like before.

> I don't believe Mark has given you the full story on the Baldwin D that
>
> will be retrofit.  He has installed two new soundboards to try and get
>
> the sound he wants.  Mark knows what he is doing with soundboard
> installation.  From what Mark says it still doesn't sound the way he
> wants.   What will Wapin do?  I guess we'll find out, eh?

I hope this goes well and you end up with an improved piano.  I have to agree
with Jim Ellis though, there are many variables that may be overlooked.

Have fun, I wish I could be there,

Rick