[CAUT] RE : key bushing removal

rwest1 at unl.edu rwest1 at unl.edu
Mon Nov 6 11:03:43 MST 2006

Wim:

I used to use that method, but one time the bushings were
particularly stubborn, so much so that steaming out the bushings was
also loosening the glue joint holding the button to the key.  Since
then I've used the felt-plugs-in-the-mortise method. I like that the
bushings come out easily, but it's also easy to get too much water in
the plug and key.  I've also tried dampening the bushings and the
using the hot (as in soldering iron hot) brass bushing remover.  I
didn't have much luck with that.

What are the opinions on the best bushing removal method?  Are there
any other methods out there that are less apt to cause trouble?  I
get a good final result, but I'm just not very happy with how I get
there.

Also the big reason why I like hot hide glue is that it provides a
good, long-lasting glue joint that lets go when you want it to. In a
university setting that's a great feature.

I hope this isn't too basic for this esteemed list.

Richard West