[CAUT] Wapin Installation at Brandon University

Michael Wathen michael.wathen at wapin.com
Mon Nov 6 18:38:24 MST 2006

David, Jim, et al,

First, David.  Thanks for the comment about hoping students appreciate a
dedicated teacher.

The most convincing evidence for the value of Wapin, believe it or not, has
nothing to do with science.  The science is really an aside. There are over
two hundred Wapin installations to date.  Every one of them I have
experienced produces a very distinct result not possible with rebuilding.  I
hear it every time.  Initially I was the biggest skeptic.  I clamored for
others to give their opinions: "do you hear what I hear?".  Yes, I remember
Jim your visit to Cincinnati. And I remember your comments just have
recalled them in the previous post.

So, I have no desire at this point to produce or display scientific studies
about Wapin.  Anyone can accept or reject the claims as they see fit.  That
said I will talk about what I have learned since the beginning of my quest
with Wapin.  I will leave true scientific research to those who make it
their profession. Maybe some graduate student will write a thesis someday.

Let me just throw out one gem.  Differential equation models show
mathematically that the motion of a vibrating string depends on the boundary
conditions. One boundary is the nearly fixed and rigid cast iron capo bar
while  the other boundary is the flexible bridge-soundboard system.  The
moving string will loose its energy overtime doing work (physics term) on
the system.  In a normal bridge system, there are two functions (boundary
conditions) that reduce the energy in the string by doing work on them: the
terminating pin at the bridge is one, and the other is the clamping of the
string produced by the slant of the pin.  Wapin removes one of the boundary
conditions: that of the clamping and thus the energy required to perform
this function is garnished and kept in the string a little longer.  With
this physical model we can theorize the Wapin decouples the string and
probably does so slightly.

Consider this.  Most piano manufacturers that provide concert instruments
for stage and performance venues will only keep those instruments on the
public venue for an average of five years.  After this, conventional wisdom
says the piano has lost some of its luster.  It may be an exceptional
instrument in private venues but they want to keep their best foot forward
for the public.

I believe that this conventional wisdom arose experientially over many
years.  I also believe that they are right.  But why is another question.
Manufacturers go to considerable length and effort to make sure that every
joint is fitted as well as possible.   The belief is that a well fitted
bridge-soundboard system  will give the greatest tone production,
projection, and sustain.  What really happens over those five years is that
the coupling grows stronger and stronger between the systems.  Each system
moves, deforms and forms seeking an equilibrium.  Perhaps, after five years
the various parts of the system start to become too strongly coupled.  A
strongly coupled system will move energy more easily between the systems.
The energy in the upper portions of the piano will tend to dissipate too
quickly. So quickly that much of the energy will leave the string before it
can even set up a standing wave on the string and thus produce a harmonic
tone.

How does this stand up in practice?  One year, at music hall in Cincinnati,
Barry Douglas came to perform a Prokovief Piano Concerto with the Symphony.
There were two C & A pianos one stage for use.  He didn't really care for
either.  He complained and the Symphony allowed me to bring in the 1929
Steinway.  The dealer reprepped his pianos and we moved ours to Music Hall.
Douglas tried each piano and with very little deliberation picked the 1929 D
over the two new pianos.  He had no reservations and used again the second
night.

At Interlochen the year before last the same sort of thing occurred with
Olga Kern.  The Detroit dealer sent up a Steinway D C & A piano that they
considered to be top notch.  After giving the piano a try with the orchestra
at rehearsal Olga voiced concerned that piano would not work that well in
the outdoor venue and with no miking.  She tried and decided to use a 1975
Baldwin SD-10 with Wapin over the New C & A Steinway.  This scenario was
repeated a few weeks ago in Sioux Falls when she decided to use a 1951
Steinway D with Wapin over a 1983 Steinway D.    So much for stories.