[CAUT] gorilla glue

Conrad Hoffsommer hoffsoco at luther.edu
Thu Nov 9 09:02:19 MST 2006

At 07:25 AM 11/9/2006 -0800, you wrote:
>If the shanks split, they're toast, but with the right kind of shears
>you can often split the hammer on either side of the shank & nibble
>around the circumference.  Never really tried it with gorilla glue, but
>worked for really stubborn other stuff.  Sometimes an initial crunch
>fore & aft will loosen the end grain of the hammer moulding a bit to
>minimize the tendencey to split the shank.
>
>Otto

Yup.

I use a 9' diagonal cutter to split hammer moldings, and many times the
hammer will just pop off.  I usually do my first cut tangent to the shank,
rather than the center of the molding/shank. What remains (glue collar,
etc.) I deal with by chucking the hammer shank reducer, with reducing
collar out at widest, in my cordless drill (i.e. slow speed).  You have to
make sure you are holding the other end of the shank tightly or you can
break the flange - or at least lessen friction. DAMHIK.

Hide glue will just pop off, Elmers has to be gnawed. Haven't had to deal
with Gorilla, yet.

Conrad Hoffsommer - Keyboard Technician
1-(563)-387-1204 // Fax 1-(563)-387-1076

- Right now, I'm hoping to live until my age matches my golf score,
- Until then, I'll have to be content to have my IQ match my handicap.