[CAUT] tight balancier

David Skolnik davidskolnik at optonline.net
Fri Nov 10 12:26:07 MST 2006

Wimn'Ed -

I just went downstairs to make some rudimentary tests.  I would say
that 6 grams would be the minimum I would choose to pin a rep
lever.  I don't believe the bobbling you are experiencing has
anything to do with the rep lever pinning.  As with the recent Wapin
discussion, there are too many variables to easily ascribe the
problem to just one issue.  The ability of the hammers to be held in
check is affected by:
shape of tail profile
texture of tail surface (checkered? roughed? glazed?)
shape of back check profile
durometer of backcheck felt
tightness of backcheck leather
finish of backcheck leather (nap / no nap?)  If nap, orientation of said nap.
proximal relationship of tail and backcheck at letoff / drop
hammerpinning (too tight or too loose)
jack position at rest - too far forward will leave jack too close to
knuckle after let-off, either allowing descending knuckle to bound on
jack top, or the back radius of the knuckle will rub or otherwise
push jack out of the way, stealing energy from the descending hammer
that might prevent it from overcoming rep spring.
aftertouch- too little? as above.  Excessive? Jack can restrict
movement of rep lever by putting too much pressure on felt in window.

I'm sure I'm leaving something out.

Bill Garlick showed me the potential advantages of
tighter-than-standard rep lever pinning for repetition using a
butterfly spring. The tighter pinning requires strengthening the
spring which, in turn makes the jack faster.  If all the above
parameters are addressed, I think you could pin at 8-10 grams and
still have good checking.

But what do I know?

David Skolnik