[CAUT] tight balancier

Willem Blees wblees at bama.ua.edu
Fri Nov 10 15:43:10 MST 2006

Quoting RicB <ricb at pianostemmer.no>:

> This said... Skolnik covers a lot of good ground on this thread in a
>
> short space.  Wims problem .... Wim, seems to me you have more or
> less
> eliminated the balancier centerpin tightness and the repetition
> tension
> from the field of potential sources of your problem.  Strikes me as
> time
> to look for other sources. David listed up quite a few classics.
>
> Cheers
> RicB

Ric

I have done just about eveything David mentioned to solve
my "bobbling" problem. If you recall, I just found out about the
balancier centerpin solution at the seminar a couple of weeks ago. So
this is basically my "last resort".

As I said, I got a bunch of balanciers up to 6 grams. Now I will go
for more resistance, when I can find a couple of hours in the hall.

Wim

>     David writes:
>     << The ability of the hammers to be held in
>     check is affected by:
>     <SINP>
>     jack position at rest - too far forward will leave jack too close
>     knuckle after let-off, either allowing descending knuckle to
> bound on
>     jack top, or the back radius of the knuckle will rub or
> otherwise
>     push jack out of the way, stealing energy from the descending
> hammer
>     that might prevent it from overcoming rep spring.>>
>
>     I don't know that I understand this.  I believe that the jack
>     position at
>     rest, if moved farther under the knuckle, will simply cause the
> jack
>     to begin
>     moving earlier in the keystroke, (for a given let-off).  Once
> the
>     jack is off the
>     spoon, it doesn't matter where it started.
>         It is helpful to place the action in check, then adjust the
>     capstan so
>     that the jack is equidistant between the knuckle and the stop
> pad.
>     This is your
>     optimum blow distance for that particular let-off and dip.
> Changing
>     the
>     beginning jack position won't have any effect on this.
>     Regards,
>

>     Ed Foote RPT
>     http://www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/index.html
>     www.uk-piano.org/edfoote/well_tempered_piano.html