[CAUT] Tight balancier

RicB ricb at pianostemmer.no
Sat Nov 11 12:55:43 MST 2006

This is actually a very good point. As others have stated one doesnt
really want too loose a jack pin as a result. That said what Jim says
holds true.  Repetition and other related problems are far more likely
to occur if the jack center is tighter then the balancier center.

One other point.  6-9 grams of balancier center friction should be more
then enough to take this moment out of the checking problem.  If you
have a perfect action regulation and good friction tolerances for
centers and your geometry is even reasonably good, along with nice clean
fat free tails and solid back check wire roots... then you should have
no problems getting a good check. IME 90% of the time, shaky checking is
due to some instablity action moment.  Too loose hammer centers... heavy
and hopping dampers... mis aligned back checks... loose (even barely
loose) back check wires... anything that can shake rattle and roll at
the critical moment of check.  The rest of the time it has to do with
the checks and/or tails themselves.  I'm not ruling out the significance
of the balancier pin tightness... I'm just saying I've yet to have to
address a checking problem this way.  Repitition problems on the other
hand can easily get wrapped up in the centers of the jack and balancier.

Wims problem may of course be a weird one... they most certainly come
along from time to time.  But I have to think that with the repinning
already done... the problem lies elsewhere.

Cheers
RicB

    Balancier tightness has been a very interesting discussion, and I don't
    think I can add much to what has already been said, except for one
    thing.
    I don't remember who said it, or when, but it had to do with pinning the
    jack as tightly as the balancier.  I don't agree with that.  You are far
    more likely to have repetition problems due to a jack that's too
    tight than
    you are with one that's too lose.

    Sincerely, Jim Ellis